Developing environments used for kernel development

Daniel. danielhilst at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 12:20:58 EST 2015

Hi Amit

I agree that it takes a lot of time to have domain on any tool, and
yes, the key strokes are awkward but you can get used to it. I've
spended a lot of time reading about elisp to get somewhere with emacs,
I think in elisp being the big strenght and weakness of emacs. It's
not eye friendly or even fast but you can do almost anything. I really
can't think that emacs can be usable without an 20 lines .emacs, mine
having more than 100. One thing that holds me at emacs is an nice
plugin to access pastebin pastes. I use as my personal knowledge base,
pasting, listing and deleting from pastebin, all inside emacs. I've
also had to write a little function to download plugins that I use at
first emacs run.

I think that the Ctrl key strokes on emacs are faster to hand than the
command/insert modes of vim, but this is just a matter of praticing.
The window navigation on vim is a lot more convenient, at emacs we
have just Ctrl+o to go to another window, while in vim you can switch
using directional keys (hjkl). This can be customized, well everything
can be customized, if not with plugins it can be done at source level
(yay, freedom \o/), but who wants to maintain that lot of
customizations? With vim you can redirect the input to a buffer vim
`somecommand | vim -' with emacs you can, but is not that simple. I
think that vim has better integration with shell commands through the
% sign inside commands so you can parse and filter current buffer
using default shell commands, in emacs you should keep with
"interactive commands", they are fine and is easy to write new ones.

I have no experience with vim plugin language but the syntax is a much
more clear than elisp. The .vim is much smaller and more readable than
.emacs files. The other thing that I is pissing me off in emacs is its
auto-indentention. Its really intrusive and hard to turn it off.

I've being using emacs for the last 3 years. Its really fun, elisp is
really powerful, IMHO the main drawback of emacs is having an longer
learning curve (because of elisp) and slower startup time. Vim has
everything that a good editor needs, emacs has this a lot of lots of
more, this make it a little fat.

So we have 3 vim users, one emacs and one eclipse so far.

Best Regards,
- dhs

--
"Do or do not. There is no try"