Best approach to explore the linux source code

victorascroft at gmail.com victorascroft at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 13:17:40 EDT 2015

On 15-08-15 12:28:06, Umair Khan wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm a final year undergraduate student. I've been spending a lot of
> time with OS books these days.
> I've been reading about the internals of the Linux kernel and drivers
> in the books. But, I've never really seen them in action except the
> drivers. Hacking a driver is easy.

Hacking a driver is easy? :)

> Is there any good approach/tutorial to walk me through the source code
> of the kernel ?

There is only one approach to understanding any code. Reading the code
and understanding how different things interact. If you have doubts
you can always ask here.

Read Linux Device Drivers? Though that will still not prepare you
for actual code. Eudyptula Challenge?

> Also, I'm using a self built linux kernel 4.2 on my laptop. Is there
> any way that I can contribute upstream to the kernel. I'm using 4.2 in
> the hope to find bugs in driver stuffs. I haven't found any yet.

http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/Documentation/SubmittingDrivers
http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/Documentation/SubmittingPatches

Just running the kernel might not always point out bugs.