process tracking

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Mon Apr 20 23:19:52 EDT 2015

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 11:58:17PM +0200, Mustafa Hussain wrote:
> I have reading recently how CFS works and I want to detect processes that
> is not used and have the policy SCHED_NORMAL,
>
> Can i do this by tracking load_weight for each process if the load dose not
> change over the time can i consider this process is not used ?

it has nothing to do with the load_weight.  I can be corrected on this
but it is configuration.

There are functions that can be coded that adjust the class of priority
for a thread or process such as

/**
 * sched_setscheduler - change the scheduling policy and/or RT priority
 * of a thread.
 * @p: the task in question.
 * @policy: new policy.
 * @param: structure containing the new RT priority.
 *
 * Return: 0 on success. An error code otherwise.
 *
 * NOTE that the task may be already dead.
 */
int sched_setscheduler(struct task_struct *p, int policy,
		       const struct sched_param *param)
{
	return _sched_setscheduler(p, policy, param, true);
}
EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(sched_setscheduler);

in linux/kernel.sched/core.c

download the Kernel Source Code and take a look

Ruben