How do _you_ read the linux source?

nick xerofoify at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 08:47:38 EDT 2015

On 2015-04-20 01:45 AM, Christoffer Holmstedt wrote:
>> There were a few things I did when starting to learn the kernel
>> 1. Read Robert Love's Linux Kernel Development, I don't care how much you think
>> you known about the kernel read and trace the actual kernel code with this book!!
>> 2.Read a book on device drivers and the Linux networking stack, I
>> read Linux networking internals for this
>
> Thank you Nick, I'm just getting started with linux kernel development
> and have been looking around for books both more general and specific
> to networking. One thing in common several books I've found have is
> that they are based on the 2.6 version of the kernel (or older). Some
> parts have changed but are entire chapters in the above mentioned
> books too old to make sense when working on version linux kernel 4.1
> and beyond?

What you need to do is look at the source code and see what has changed this writing
of the book. This is what I do when reading kernel programming books or documentation.
Further more around way is to read the logs of the networking mailing lists for the
kernel to see what has changed recently.
Nick