Network subsystem and suggestions

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Oct 29 14:00:46 EDT 2014

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 12:16:57 -0500, Jaime Arrocha said:

> Lastly, what about this other book?
> The Design of the UNIX Operating System by Maurice Bach

That book is about the SYSV kernel.  However, both it, and McKusic's
book on the BSD kernel, are good because they demonstrate different
approaches to solving the same problems that kernel writers hit.  Also,
they're good at getting you thinking about locking - there's a lot of
discussion of "We need to lock so-and-so from here to there, because
otherwise this specific bad thing can happen and eat your filesystem".

Of course, I've worked on a boatload of operating systems in the last 3
decades, and am a firm believer that if you know how one operating system
works, you don't understand operating systems....