Linux kernel Network Programing

John de la Garza john at jjdev.com
Wed Oct 1 10:32:50 EDT 2014

there are some great reads here: http://haifux.org/rami_rosen.html
this guy also has a recent book on: http://ramirose.wix.com/ramirosen

> Secondly, how to look for problems to work on...more importantly how to
> ensure that hardware dependency doesn't come in my way...is there a
> simulated environment that I can use.

I use qemu or KVM and have a VM (virtual machine) that I run on my
laptop.  I have a small minimal kernel that I can quickly compile
and boot in the VM with out having to reboot my real hardware.  I
set up two tap devices, my VM has two nics, and I make it route
from my desktop to my gateway.

With this setup and can make changes in the kernel and quickly see
them running.