VLAN tagged packets received by application are corrupted

Amit Agarwal amit at amit-agarwal.co.in
Thu Nov 20 23:49:17 EST 2014

Hi all,

I have query on vlan tagged packets received by network interface.

Problem: I have application which would receive all packets on the interface
and process them ( this could be including vlan tagged packets). However when
the 8021q (vlan) module is not loaded and the appropriate interfaces for all
the IDs are not created I see that the application is not able to decode them.
When we capture with tcpdump/tshark/wireshark as well we see that the packets
are not correctly displayed. The Ethernet header type itself is not correctly
identified and thus the rest of the packet cannot be decoded. What could be
causing this and is there a way to fix this?

--
 Thanks,
-aka