Practical way to rename kernel-release on custom kernel

Safarin safarin87 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 14:08:56 EDT 2014

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried all you guys suggested.
Like shhuiw said that KERNELRELEASE only affect uname output so I use
method to change the naming by change inside the top level makefile.

Eventhough, I have make a change the output still not like I want. I
still see long output for that naming

$VERSION.$PATCHLEVEL.$SUBLEVEL-$EXTRAVERSION--ARCH-00570-g110e430-dirty

which it come from git commit id.
$ git describe
v3.16-rc2-570-g110e430
**(not sure why got dirty at the end of the line)

But I already figure it out how to disable that long naming. By disable
inside .config under "CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO"

Thanks again.

Regards,
Safarin