Practical way to rename kernel-release on custom kernel

shhuiw shhuiw at 163.com
Fri Jul 11 03:24:18 EDT 2014

Tried but found change KERNELRELEASE can only affect uname output.
If you want to make version change, should modify top-level Makefile:

  1 VERSION = 3
  2 PATCHLEVEL = 13
  3 SUBLEVEL = 5
  4 EXTRAVERSION =
  5 NAME = One Giant Leap for Frogkind

--

Regards,
shhuiw

At 2014-07-11 08:47:07, "shhuiw" <shhuiw at 163.com> wrote:

In Documentation/kbuild/makefiles.txt, you can see:

1365     VERSION, PATCHLEVEL, SUBLEVEL, EXTRAVERSION
1366
1367         These variables define the current kernel version.  A few arch
1368         Makefiles actually use these values directly; they should use
1369         $(KERNELRELEASE) instead.
1370
1371         $(VERSION), $(PATCHLEVEL), and $(SUBLEVEL) define the basic
1372         three-part version number, such as "2", "4", and "0".  These three
1373         values are always numeric.
1374
1375         $(EXTRAVERSION) defines an even tinier sublevel for pre-patches
1376         or additional patches.  It is usually some non-numeric string
1377         such as "-pre4", and is often blank.
1378
1379     KERNELRELEASE
1380
1381         $(KERNELRELEASE) is a single string such as "2.4.0-pre4", suitable
1382         for constructing installation directory names or showing in
1383         version strings.  Some arch Makefiles use it for this purpose.
1384
1385     ARCH
1386
1387         This variable defines the target architecture, such as "i386",
1388         "arm", or "sparc". Some kbuild Makefiles test $(ARCH) to
1389         determine which files to compile.
1390
1391         By default, the top Makefile sets $(ARCH) to be the same as the
1392         host system architecture.  For a cross build, a user may
1393         override the value of $(ARCH) on the command line:
1394
1395             make ARCH=m68k ..

Regards,
shhuiw