How to use .dts file for Kernel Image Compilation

Prabhakar Lad prabhakar.csengg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 01:46:43 EST 2014

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 3:41 PM, sanchayan maity
<victorascroft at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am compiling kernel image for a Toradex Colibri module which uses the
> NVidia Tegra2 processor.
> The device tree support and files are supplied, which i can see on the below
> link.
> http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/arch/arm/boot/dts/?a=arm
>
> The file name is tegra20-iris-512.dts which then includes
> tegra20-colibri-512.dtsi.
>
> I want to know how can i link this while doing "make" for kernel image
> compilation. This is required as board config file is not present and the
> device tree has to be used.
>
> Based on my current findings, if the file name is for example exynos4.dts,
> this will be specified in the config file with CONFIG_MACH_EXYNOS4_DT=y.
>
> I want to know if this is the correct way of specifying a device tree file
> for which .dtb has been generated?
>
> The kernel version for which i am trying to do this is 3.12.6.

If your configuration supports (defconfig) DT booting for your platform you
can build .dtb by just replacing the "uImage" to "dtbs" in the command what you
used for building the uImage.

Note:- For DT booting there should be also support in the U-Boot.

Regards,
--Prabhakar Lad
http://in.linkedin.com/in/prabhakarlad