Firmware Loading every boot?

Peter Teoh htmldeveloper at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 00:02:39 EST 2014

FYI, the "firmware" are loaded from flash:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory

which means microcontroller (or microprocessor) + DMA/DDR memory + flash
are the usual makeup of an embedded system.   flash are non-volatile, but
normally it is slower and cannot be executed as CPU or microncontroller
instruction.   which is why you will need to load it into memory to be
executed:

http://lwn.net/Articles/135472/

cheers.

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 9:29 PM, Jeshwanth <jeshkumar555 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> I came to know that, linux loads firmware for my dma everytime it boots.
> But I don't understand, why it is required to load everytime it boots,
> don't dma holds which is loaded previously.
> AFAIK, firmware is a program which runs in devices.
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Thanks :)
>
> Regards,
> Jeshwanth