Firmware Loading every boot?

Jeshwanth Kumar N K jeshkumar555 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 12:30:37 EST 2014

Hi Arun,

Thanks for the reply :)

Which means all the firmware available in /lib/firmware loads to device
when device attached? (I mean to volatile memory of device)

I have one more doubt/assumption in this.

What I feel is, dynamically loading firmware is because of loading the
firmware for specific platform. i.e. Windows and Linux firmware (for same
device) are different, Windows loads firmware which is created for Windows,
and Linux loads firmware created for Linux systems.

Please let me know whether my assumption is right :)

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 7:27 PM, Arun KS <getarunks at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jeshwanth,
>

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 6:59 PM, Jeshwanth <jeshkumar555 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello List,
>>
>> I came to know that, linux loads firmware for my dma everytime it boots.
>> But I don't understand, why it is required to load everytime it boots,
>> don't dma holds which is loaded previously.
>>
> Might be because it is loaded in to some volatile memory like DDR, which
> does not persist during reboots.
>
> Thanks,
> Arun
>

>> AFAIK, firmware is a program which runs in devices.
>>
>> Please correct me if I am wrong.
>

>> Thanks :)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jeshwanth