How to git clone kernel source fast?

秦弋戈 michaelbest002 at 126.com
Thu Dec 11 00:55:01 EST 2014

Hi, Ming Lin

I'm a college student in China. My research for the master degree is related to Linux kernel, which has driven me to learn a lot about the kernel. Thus It  makes me eager to be a kernel contributor. I want to participate the project "Block layer projects that I haven't had time for" raised by Kent. I have read the mails about it in lkml and the source code.

But there is still two problems.
1. Until now my way of getting source is directly download tar package from kernel.org. I know it will be better to use git, but I found that it is quite slow with the speed of only 20 KB per second. I have configured my PC to by pass the annoying GFW so I think it is nothing with it.

I guess you're also in China from your name and you are also participating in this project. So could you help me with it?

2. I'm not quite sure about which tree should I clone and whether the bcache branch is contained in mainline kernel tree. If not, should I clone the bcache tree from this address http://evilpiepirate.org/git/linux-bcache.git?
And I found the address https://github.com/dongsupark/linux%3E gives me a 404 not found response, which is mentioned in lkml by Donsu Park

Thanks a lot!

Michael