Help with btrfs project

Nick Krause xerofoify at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 22:47:37 EDT 2014

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 8:21 PM, Bernd Petrovitsch
<bernd at petrovitsch.priv.at> wrote:
> On Mit, 2014-08-20 at 17:25 -0400, Nick Krause wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Sudip Mukherjee
>> <sudipm.mukherjee at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> > i asked a few questions . why dont you answer them and show every one that
>> > you can.
>> I may have deleted your email but , please send me your questions and
>
> It is *your* fault if *you* delete *your* mails, so fix it *youself*
> and don't (try to) push effort to others - as you do from mail #2.
>
> How should *you* fix *your* immediate failure: Google the mails *you*
> deleted or just search and find it one of the various archives of the
> LKML.
>
> Sorry, you wasted too much time and bandwidth of everyone ....
>
>         Bernd
> --
> "I dislike type abstraction if it has no real reason. And saving
> on typing is not a good reason - if your typing speed is the main
> issue when you're coding, you're doing something seriously wrong."
>     - Linus Torvalds

The areas for Sudip's questions are below.
1. Btrfs is suppose to replace ext4 as the default Linux file system
due to ext4 having no
features like sub volumes and build in compression. Over all due it's
great features ZFS
still is the default choice in the enterprise and data center space,
but btrfs hows to challenge
the reigning king and make btrfs the default, Oracle developers
started this file system as
their was no good file system on Linux with features like ZFS.
2. Btrfs  allows for unlimited files due to dynamic inode creation and
not a fixed inode count.
In addition in supports sub volumes and build in compression using
certain compression
algorithms. In addition most of it's design is build for large COW file systems.
3. Journaling is the ability of  a file system to keep a log of data
and if the file system is not
in a known good state , the file system will roll back the file system
to the last known good
state, mostly thought of as the file system log.
4. Btrfs does support this in a basic form but not as a tested and
tried fsck online check for
enterprise or critical workloads.
Nick