mini2440

Paul Bolle pebolle at tiscali.nl
Mon Aug 18 05:12:28 EDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-08-18 at 12:32 +0530, Sudip Mukherjee wrote:
> Has anyone tried to boot the linux-next in the mini2440 boards? I have
> tried with mini2440_defconfig and it is not even booting. I posted the
> problem in the forum of friendlyarm
> (http://www.friendlyarm.net/forum/topic/6076) but the only answer i
> got is we need to a number of patch to make the mainline kernel boot
> into mini2440. Well , Ok , I can prepare the patch but my question is
> if mini2440_defcofconfig is there in the mainline kernel , that means
> it has been properly tested before adding , and that only means that I
> must be doing some mistake and thats why its not booting.

I think there are no formal rules for what constitutes a proper
defconfig file. "Allows to boot the targeted hardware" seems a
reasonable demand to make, especially for rather specific targets such
as a single ARM board.

>From the short discussion on the forum you linked to I get the
impression that the code that currently is in mainline simply will not
boot a mini2440. (This makes discussing the merits of its defconfig file
rather pointless.)

So, apparently, someone should either: try to submit the needed patches
for mainline; or request to drop the non-working mini2440 support from
mainline (as it is now tricking people into thinking mini2440 is
properly supported).

I have no idea whether proper support for mini2440 boards is actually a
realistic goal. I know nothing about these boards. You're probably
better of discussing that with the names that show up if you do
    scripts/get_maintainer.pl -f arch/arm/mach-s3c24xx/mach-mini2440.c

Paul Bolle