What to do with branches after submitting patches?

Mandeep Sandhu mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 07:04:18 EDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Prabhakar Lad
<prabhakar.csengg at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Prabhakar Lad
> <prabhakar.csengg at gmail.com> wrote:

> pull

> >> If using github, I think send pull requests is a way to initiate a
> review.
> >> It does not mean that that pull request will be merged as-is. As you
> point
> >> out, if there are review comments, the reviewee will address those
> comments
> >> and send another pull request till the reviewer is satisfied. After
> that the
> >> reviewer just has to 'merge' the latest pull request.
> >>

> > For reviewing patches on the mailing list you don't send pull request,
> > ! patches needs
> > to be sent to ML to be reviewed !.
> >
> > For example look at [1] which is pull request to Linus. The pull request
> will
> > just have the patch description(it doesnt have the diff), and the link
> > to pull the patches from. People dont have time to go to your link and
> > review the
> > patches there and reply on your pull request.
> > "So you need to send patches to ML for review and not pull request"

As I said above, this is the "github" workflow, not what Linux development
might be using for handling contributions. Submitting patches to LKML might
be the way it's done for Linux. I was merely pointing to the fact that if
using github, pull requests are sufficient for doing reviews.

Hope that clarifies things.

-mandeep