Design Patterns in Linux Kernel: Fancy Tricks With Linked Lists

Arlie Stephens arlie at worldash.org
Tue Mar 19 14:45:35 EDT 2013

Hi Robert,

Thank you very much - for your web pages as well as for your responses
in this thread.

On Mar 19 2013, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>    Oh, crap, I just remembered that even Robert Love's 3rd edition of
> "Linux Kernel Development" (aka "LKD3") isn't 100% correct WRT linked
> lists. A while back, I started keeping track of typoes/errors/whatever
> in LKD3 for the benefit of the eventual LKD4, and I started a page here:
>
> http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Updates_to_LKD3
>
>    Partway down that page, you can see my notes on linked lists:
>
> http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Updates_to_LKD3#Linked_lists

Beautiful! This page covers everything we were confused about
yesterday. And you are right - I read Love's 3rd edition as more
ambiguous than wrong, but he does say the "head" node is not a member
of the list, and that's more wrong than ambiguous. Morevover, the
biggest problem with my first implementation was that I believed him.

--
Arlie
(Arlie Stephens					arlie at worldash.org)