Design Patterns in Linux Kernel: Fancy Tricks With Linked Lists

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Mar 19 13:54:44 EDT 2013

Quoting "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>:

> Quoting Arlie Stephens <arlie at worldash.org>:
>
>> Interestingly, part of the debate yesterday probably resulted from one
>> engineer having Love's 2nd edition, and me having his 3rd
>> edition. Apparently RPDay pointed out some problems to Love which
>> resulted in him changing his linked list discussion in his 3rd
>> edition ;-)
>
>    Been a while since I re-read my own tutorial, it might merit a bit of
> a rewrite. Is there anything about it that seems unclear -- I remember
> my own moment of epiphany, "Holy crap, what an interesting way to do it."
>
>    And, yes, if you try to reconcile Love's 2nd and 3rd editions on the
> topic, that will not end well. :-)

   Oh, crap, I just remembered that even Robert Love's 3rd edition of
"Linux Kernel Development" (aka "LKD3") isn't 100% correct WRT linked
lists. A while back, I started keeping track of typoes/errors/whatever
in LKD3 for the benefit of the eventual LKD4, and I started a page here:

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Updates_to_LKD3

   Partway down that page, you can see my notes on linked lists:

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Updates_to_LKD3#Linked_lists

I'm going to have to review what I wrote there to remember why I wrote
it but, from a cursory glance, it appears that I still had complaints
about the presentation in LKD3. So feel free to read that wiki section
in conjunction with LKD3 to figure out what I was babbling about.

rday