local_irq_save vs raw_local_irq_save

Raj Ravi mekaviraj at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 05:49:26 EDT 2013

Thanks Anish.

As for  local_irq_save  and raw_local_irq_save, it seems
local_irq_save - called at many different places while raw_local_irq_save
is called in fewer places.

                             local_irq_save - does not disable Hardware
interrupts.
    Whereas,raw_local_irq_save - does DISABLE hardware interrupts.

As per code, raw_local_irq_save is related with timer interrupts.
Please provide your insights on this.

Also, in local_irq_save - how exactly disabling interrupts is achieved ( in
spite of " NOT DISABLING " hardware interrupts) ?