local_irq_save vs raw_local_irq_save

anish singh anish198519851985 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 05:15:49 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Raj Ravi <mekaviraj at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please let me know the difference between
> local_irq_save  and raw_local_irq_save ?

did you check who calls this raw_local_irq_save?
similarly who calls local_irq_save?
finding out these will answer your questions
> At which situation one should use raw_local_irq_save?
>

> Also, I read "flags"  is where interrupt state is saved while disabling
> interrupts in local cpu (for local_irq_save).
>
> What EXACTLY this  flags contains?  What do you mean by interrupt state
> here?

interrupt state meaning: which all interrupts are enabled or disabled at this
instant.If a particular interrupt was enabled at that instant then we don't
do any thing with our locking mechanism which causes it be be disabled.
What we are doing with those flags is nothing but maintaining the state.