thread concurrent file operation

Peter Teoh htmldeveloper at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 08:49:51 EST 2013

To generalize further u can safely say that all synchronous operation have
to be thread-safe, except for some APIs as listed here:

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/functions/xsh_chap02_09.html

linux kernel may guarantee thread-safety - but this only apply to
serializing data at the per-syscall level.   Ie, every read() will
complete, before being intercepted by another read() from another thread.
But at the file level u still may get file corruption/file datastructure
mangled if u mixed write/read without properly serialization at the
userspace level.   thus, kernel locking + userspace locking are needed -
for different purpose.

below discussion is useful (first answer esp):

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5268307/thread-safety-of-read-pread-system-calls

in the kernel for each file descriptor, there is only one single offset
value to indicate the current file pointer position.   so at the userspace
level, different read/write combination will affect the file pointer value
- which explained also why userspace locking (for logical reasons) are
needed.

--
Regards,
Peter Teoh