Understanding disassembly x86 + understanding function call + parameter pass and stack frame

nidhi mittal hada nidhimittal19 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 06:44:34 EDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 3:51 PM, nidhi mittal hada
<nidhimittal19 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 6:02 PM, amit mehta <gmate.amit at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 5:47 PM, nidhi mittal hada
>> <nidhimittal19 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > thats the information of coredump file:-
>> >       KERNEL: vmlinux
>> >     DUMPFILE: vmcore.1  [PARTIAL DUMP]
>> >         CPUS: 8
>> >         DATE: Mon Jun 11 09:10:59 2012
>> >       UPTIME: 13 days, 22:39:30
>> > LOAD AVERAGE: 83.88, 62.23, 30.30
>> >        TASKS: 393
>> >     NODENAME: million.ind.hp.com
>> >      RELEASE: 2.6.32-220.el6.hpsp16k1.x86_64
>> >      VERSION: #1 SMP Mon Nov 19 17:07:07 UTC 2012
>> >      MACHINE: x86_64  (2132 Mhz)
>> >       MEMORY: 96 GB
>> >        PANIC: "Kernel panic - not syncing: Watchdog detected hard
>> LOCKUP on cpu 4"
>> >          PID: 26715
>> >      COMMAND: "mount.*******"
>> >         TASK: ffff8817dd4de0c0  [THREAD_INFO: ffff8802c3f80000]
>> >          CPU: 4
>> >        STATE: TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE (PANIC)
>> >

>> Seems, interrupts are not being re-enabled after a considerable amount of
>> time.
>> BTW, I'd suggest you to refrain from posting internal organizational
>> details such
>> as the NODENAME above, in the public mailing lists.
>>
>> !!amit
>>

> Hi Amit/Tobias,
>
> I have understood that
>
> *for x86_64 architecture and linux as operating system , GCC as compiler
> , the calling convention to be followed is AMD64 ABI.*
> right?
>
> *My doubt is :-*
> 1) Is the above statement true only for stack frames function call etc ?
> OR
> Is the above statement true for other things related to architecture,
> like for knowing data type sizes, endianness, alignment ..
>
> as http://www.uclibc.org/docs/psABI-x86_64.pdf, mentions , data type size
> alignment etc everything ...
> are these things same for AMD and x86 architecture both ???
>
> 2)Depending on data type, this above doc defines classes in which a
> specific data type lie ..
> classes like INTEGER, MEMORY , SSE, SSEUP etc ..
> are same things applicable in my infrastructure too
> OR
> they are specific to AMD architecture... if so then whats followed on
> x86_64 ..
>
> 3) is everything in this doc applicable to x86_64 or just a portion of it
> can be followed
> for x86_64 ?
>

> Thanks
> Nidhi
>

> And next question is ..

1)if i want to get value of a local variable, of a function,  from stack
trace thats bt-f output, obtained using crash ..
No where AMD64 ABI mentions how local variables are stored ..
is it in some specific sequence of registers ? is it in stack ?

Thanks
Nidhi