Missing __versions section on .ko

Pritam Bankar pritambankar1988 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 17:39:46 EDT 2012

Hi Ramesh thanks for great pdf. From whatever I understood after
reading I fired command modinfo on my module and it gave output ,

vermagic:       3.2.0-23-generic-pae SMP mod_unload modversions 686

greping out vermagic. So I believe vermagic is behaving correctly.
What is 686 in output ?
Any other reason for missing __versions section ?

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 6:24 AM, Ramesh.P <rameshpa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 'Invalid module' is typically thrown when you don't compile your
> module against the kernel you are linking into. I think __versions
> section is added by vermagic.o as part of build process. Please refer
> http://lwn.net/images/pdf/LDD3/ch02.pdf, Version dependency section
> for more details.
>
> Thanks,
> Ramesh
>
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 7:10 AM, Pritam Bankar
> <pritambankar1988 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 7:27 PM, Pritam Bankar
>> <pritambankar1988 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Any idea what causes __versions section to get added in *.ko module. A
>>> simple hello.ko on ubuntu 12.04 i386 machine gets loaded successfully.
>>> Other module just doesn't get loaded giving error " Invalid module ".
>>> When I compared both modules with objdump -h I found __versions
>>> section was missing from second module and that can be the reason its
>>> not getting loaded. How can I add this section to other .ko ? What
>>> causes __versions to get added in ko ?
>>

>> I have compiled both modules with modpost and Module.symvers.
>>

>>  Thanks,
>>  Pritam Bankar
>>
>> --
>>
>> Pritam Bankar