Regarding KGDB setup over serial cable

Vivek Panwar vivekpanwar2008 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 05:59:58 EDT 2012

Hi Mulyadi,

I resolved the file system error and now i am able to boot my machine with
3.4.9 Kernel. But still i am facing issues while setting up KGDB,below is
the issues i am facing on both development and test machine:

1) Development machine (This machine have KERNEL to be debugged):

i have added below arguments in grub.cfg file for KGDB to wait for remote
GDB connection establishment:

*kgdbwait kgdboc=ttyUSB0,115200*

Again I booted my machine, and now i am able to see below message on screen
but for very few seconds , after that machine starts booting normally.Can
we pass some time delay till GDB debugger get connected to the test machine
??

*waiting for remote connection.........*

2) Test Machine (where GDB is running for remote debugging):

I have copy *vmlinux* file to test machine and start  GDB session by giving
following below commands:

*gdb ./vmlinux (*after running this command i m getting below logs)*

*
GNU gdb (Ubuntu/Linaro 7.2-1ubuntu11) 7.2
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
Reading symbols from /home/rohit/vmlinux...done.*

set debug remote 1

target remote /dev/ttyUSB0 (* please see below logs after running command)*

*(gdb) target remote /dev/ttyUSB0
Remote debugging using /dev/ttyUSB0
Sending packet: $qSupported:xmlRegisters=i386;qRelocInsn+#25...Sending
packet: $qSupported:xmlRegisters=i386;qRelocInsn+#25...Sending packet:
$qSupported:xmlRegisters=i386;qRelocInsn+#25...Sending packet:
$qSupported:xmlRegisters=i386;qRelocInsn+#25...Timed out.
Timed out.
Timed out.
Ignoring packet error, continuing...
Packet qSupported (supported-packets) is supported
warning: unrecognized item "timeout" in "qSupported" response
Sending packet: $Hg0#df...Sending packet: $Hg0#df...Sending packet:
$Hg0#df...Sending packet: $Hg0#df...Timed out.
Timed out.
Timed out.
Ignoring packet error, continuing...
Sending packet: $?#3f...Sending packet: $?#3f...Sending packet:
$?#3f...Sending packet: $?#3f...Timed out.
Timed out.
Timed out.
Ignoring packet error, continuing...
Sending packet: $Hc-1#09...Sending packet: $Hc-1#09...Sending packet:
$Hc-1#09...^CQuit*

*Can you please help me out in this ?

Thanks for your support

Thanks