Need help: Generating patch using git

amit mehta gmate.amit at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 02:46:43 EST 2012

>> I was wondering if I need to
>> go through the entire kernel build process and boot from the modified kernel and
>> do some tests before sending this patch to kernel-janitor mailing list and the
>> relevant maintainers.
>
> Hi Amit
> If it were me I would compile and boot test this anyway (especially if
> it's your first patch). But then I am a bit paranoid and
> ultra-cautious ;-)
>
> If you haven't done a make distclean or the like (ie all your files
> and .config are still there from your last kernel build) it shouldn't
> take as long, because you won't need to build the _whole_ kernel from
> scratch, from a clean tree.
>
> Cheers
> Julie

Yeah, you are right. As this was my first clone of linux-next, hence I've to
spend sometime in configuration and then the whole kernel compilation. But later
I'd like to be able to just build that particular subsystem or the module.
Looking at the top level Makefile, it seems that I should be able to do so.

# cd linux-next
# make mm < --- should work, right ?

-Amit