Need help: Generating patch using git

Julie Sullivan kernelmail.jms at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 16:58:09 EST 2012

> I was wondering if I need to
> go through the entire kernel build process and boot from the modified kernel and
> do some tests before sending this patch to kernel-janitor mailing list and the
> relevant maintainers.

Hi Amit
If it were me I would compile and boot test this anyway (especially if
it's your first patch). But then I am a bit paranoid and
ultra-cautious ;-)

If you haven't done a make distclean or the like (ie all your files
and .config are still there from your last kernel build) it shouldn't
take as long, because you won't need to build the _whole_ kernel from
scratch, from a clean tree.

Cheers
Julie