Kernel booting problem.

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 13:41:26 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 10:50 PM, Sri Ram Vemulpali
<sri.ram.gmu06 at gmail.com> wrote:
> but when I used the following command
> "find . | cpio --quiet -H newc -o | gzip -9 -n > /boot/imagefile.img"
> to make cpio archive of initrd, I do not see any errors in creating
> device files,
> when I unarchive it.

really weird, but glad you solved it...and it's nice that you share it to us...

> There was a wrong entry
> "/dev/root", this device
> do not exist in initrd image and grub do not create nor attach initrd
> contents to /dev/root. Grub creates /dev/ram0 or /dev/ram or
> /dev/initrd and attaches initrd contents
> to this device. Kernel then reads contents from one of these devices
> as root fs.

IIRC, /dev/root is like generic name for the rootfs device. Sometimes
ago I checked kernel source and I conclude that it is a name actually
given when initramfs is mounted....but then kernel do pivot to real
root device in the disk

> Now the current problem is, I am stuck on, unable to get console. I
> got stuck after sshd (I want dropbear daemon on my machine), it seems
> sshd got started, but no prompt is displayed.
> I think I should get console control. Any ideas.

i think in "man ssh", there is an option to force tty allocation.

Anyway, it's going OOT here...

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa