Kernel booting problem.

Sri Ram Vemulpali sri.ram.gmu06 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 11:50:00 EDT 2012

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replies.

I resolved this problem yesterday night.

There are some couple of problems.

It seems the initrd cpio archive is not well formatted. I saw some
errors when I am unarchiving it to different dir for test purpose.
It saw some device files under /dev are not getting created. I am not
sure why there are errors, but when I used the following command
"find . | cpio --quiet -H newc -o | gzip -9 -n > /boot/imagefile.img"
to make cpio archive of initrd, I do not see any errors in creating
device files,
when I unarchive it.

The other erorr is, I have to change /etc/fstab config to tell which
device should be considered to mount as root. There was a wrong entry
"/dev/root", this device
do not exist in initrd image and grub do not create nor attach initrd
contents to /dev/root. Grub creates /dev/ram0 or /dev/ram or
/dev/initrd and attaches initrd contents
to this device. Kernel then reads contents from one of these devices
as root fs. After making these modifications, I saw grub able to boot
the kernel with initrd,

Now the current problem is, I am stuck on, unable to get console. I
got stuck after sshd (I want dropbear daemon on my machine), it seems
sshd got started, but no prompt is displayed.
I think I should get console control. Any ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sri.

--