Adding the cp210x module to the NAO kernel

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 20:27:26 EDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-08-15 at 20:08 +0700, Mulyadi Santosa wrote:
> Hi Ankur :)

Hi Mulyadi,

Thanks for your reply!

<snip>

> Just a quick test, what happen if you do:
> insmod -f /path/to/the/module.ko
> ?

I didn't try the -f switch. (The man page I have in Fedora doesn't even
mention it). Unfortunately, the robot is maintained by another
laboratory: we need to take permission and make an appointment to use
it. I'll try this the next time I have an appointment.

> IMHO, quite likely the message you saw happened since you compile the
> kernel  module with different version of gcc and/or different gcc
> parameter, that somehow yield binary incompatibility.

Probably :/ . The manufacturers haven't mentioned what version of gcc
etc. they used. I used the one I had available:

> gcc-4.7.0-5.fc17.x86_64

> Another thought, what arch do you use when you compile that kernel
> module? AMD Geode too?

No. I compiled it on my system, which is an x86_64 using the ARCH
parameter to the make command:

make ARCH=i386 ... (I got this from here[1])

The system they provide (the Geode), along with their file system etc.
has no development tools at all, so I can't build the module there
(unless I first compile gcc etc from source, like LFS?). It seems to use
a live persistent USB (which has a data and system partition), although
none of the partitions are marked bootable. I'm guessing it has a
bootloader on-board, but again, no info on that either.

[1]
http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/linux_kernel/kernel_configuration/ch05s04.html