Linux kernel boot process

Sannu K sannumail4foss at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 11:23:00 EDT 2012

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 7:53 PM, Kristof Provost <kristof at sigsegv.be> wrote:
> On 2012-08-04 10:56:38 (+0530), Kumar Sukhani <kumarsukhani at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I heard that windows 8 have change its boot process to a hybrid mood. In
>> which it shutdowns the user applications and hibernates the kernel and
>> device drivers[1].
>
> The question "Why on earth would you want that?" comes to mind.
>
> I guess you get faster hibernation if you don't need to write all of
> the memory state to disk, but still...
>
> Even then you only gain a little on core services startup. I'd infer
> that they have serious architectural issues if this saves them a lot of
> startup time. After all, hibernation (i.e. suspend to disk) means they
> need to re-start the kernel and drivers completely anyway.

I had a doubt for long regarding hibernation. It takes a very long
time to resume from hibernation in Linux compared to windows. Why this
happens? Why should all the drivers be started again? Just we can load
the disk driver and some essential part of the kernel, disk driver (or
only few drivers necessary for reading the hibernate image) and use
the drivers stored in the disk (from hibernation image) for rest of
the devices. Will this help in anyway? I guess this may reduce the
resume time.

P.S: I am a hard core fan of Linux and I am stating the limitation
here so that it can be rectified and not anything against Linux
developers - I too want to become a Linux kernel developer but it is
still a long way.

Thanks,
Sannu K