Linux kernel boot process

Kristof Provost kristof at sigsegv.be
Sat Aug 4 10:23:59 EDT 2012

On 2012-08-04 10:56:38 (+0530), Kumar Sukhani <kumarsukhani at gmail.com> wrote:
> I heard that windows 8 have change its boot process to a hybrid mood. In
> which it shutdowns the user applications and hibernates the kernel and
> device drivers[1].

The question "Why on earth would you want that?" comes to mind.

I guess you get faster hibernation if you don't need to write all of
the memory state to disk, but still...

Even then you only gain a little on core services startup. I'd infer
that they have serious architectural issues if this saves them a lot of
startup time. After all, hibernation (i.e. suspend to disk) means they
need to re-start the kernel and drivers completely anyway.

> Can the same be introduce in Linux kernel?

I'm sure it's possible. In fact, I think you can probably script it with
a little help from consolekit/gnome or something like that.

Mostly I don't see the point.

Regards,
Kristof