a few questions regarding acpi and kernel configuration

Srivatsa Bhat bhat.srivatsa at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 01:16:42 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 3:43 AM, Littlefield, Tyler <tyler at tysdomain.com>wrote:

> Hello all:
> I have a few questions, I was hoping someone could help me out here.
> First, I'll start off by saying that my netbook is a sort of PDA for me.
> I just boot it up and when I'm taking care of stuff for work running
> around getting info and that, I can use it to grab the info. I use Linux
> for this, but my battery dies kind of quickly. I'm also looking to
> optomize performance as much as possible.
> So, I sat down and tried to optomize a kernel. Both to save space (since
> this is a smaller drive), and to make things a bit quicker, even by a
> little bit.
> I put the config here:
> http://tds-solutions.net/config.tar.bz2
> First, I'm curious what else I can yank out of there to make everything
> smaller. I'd like to cut down on the drivers and all that, and just
> include the driver for my specific harddrive if that's possible, as well
> as the wireless card. Can I turn off scsi/pata/ata since I have a sata
> drive? Is there other stuff I missed that I could take out?
> Finally, my last two questions.
> 1) Is there a way to access acpi so I can put the computer into standby
> quickly? I'm not sure how to pull that off from the cli, but doing it
> with code would work.

If you are referring to Suspend-to-RAM here, you can install the 'pm-utils'
package and then run the 'pm-suspend' script from the cli to suspend
the machine.

> 2) Is there a way for me to detect when the lid of my laptop has been
> closed and put it into standby, and/or set an idle timer to put it into
> standby? If there are clients out there that can interface with acpi and
> help with this, awesome. If not, and I need to code something up, that
> works too.
> Finally, I'm trying to find a way, since I do not use it to turn off the
> display. Is this possible?

Most distros can be configured to do all that. You need not have to code
anything new. You'll just have to set up the power management policies
appropriately to tell what should happen when your laptop lid is closed
etc.

Regards,
Srivatsa S. Bhat