a few questions regarding acpi and kernel configuration

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Tue Oct 18 18:13:10 EDT 2011

Hello all:
I have a few questions, I was hoping someone could help me out here.
First, I'll start off by saying that my netbook is a sort of PDA for me.
I just boot it up and when I'm taking care of stuff for work running
around getting info and that, I can use it to grab the info. I use Linux
for this, but my battery dies kind of quickly. I'm also looking to
optomize performance as much as possible.
So, I sat down and tried to optomize a kernel. Both to save space (since
this is a smaller drive), and to make things a bit quicker, even by a
little bit.
I put the config here:
http://tds-solutions.net/config.tar.bz2
First, I'm curious what else I can yank out of there to make everything
smaller. I'd like to cut down on the drivers and all that, and just
include the driver for my specific harddrive if that's possible, as well
as the wireless card. Can I turn off scsi/pata/ata since I have a sata
drive? Is there other stuff I missed that I could take out?
Finally, my last two questions.
1) Is there a way to access acpi so I can put the computer into standby
quickly? I'm not sure how to pull that off from the cli, but doing it
with code would work.
2) Is there a way for me to detect when the lid of my laptop has been
closed and put it into standby, and/or set an idle timer to put it into
standby? If there are clients out there that can interface with acpi and
help with this, awesome. If not, and I need to code something up, that
works too.
Finally, I'm trying to find a way, since I do not use it to turn off the
display. Is this possible?

--

Take care,
Ty