Basic HighMeM Question

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 11:26:47 EDT 2011

Hi :)

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 17:49, Prabhu nath <gprabhunath at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Mulyadi,
>
> You are always an important character to jump in to any discussion and it
> will be our great pleasure.

Thanks :) Well, sometimes I just feel hesitate to break into someone's
else discussion.

> Please see inline for my views.
>
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 3:46 PM, Mulyadi Santosa <mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>     In a 3G/1G partition. 1G of Kernel virtual address space is divided into
> 896MB and 128 MB regions. I name them as
>   Fixed Constant Offset mapped region (FCOM) - 0xC0000000 to 0xF8000000
>   Dynamically Arbitrarily Mappable region (DAMR) - 0xF8000000 to 0xFFFFFFFF

Great naming! You beat me on that aspect :)

PS: Once there was a patch to create 4:4 VM split written by Ingo
Molnar. It does maximize address space at the expense of full TLB
flush on every context switch. AFAIK it once included in Fedora core 2
or 3, but dropped afterward since it puts more negative impacts rather
than positive enhancement (in virtual memory management point of view)

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant