inittab is not executing after my Linux box boots up

Dave Hylands dhylands at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 13:19:50 EDT 2011

Hi Prajosh,

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 10:07 AM, Prajosh Premdas
<premdas.prajosh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> I am stuck with a problem. inittab is not executing after my Linux box boots
> up.
> The problem in detail. I have a linux box, i load the Linux image uImage
> using TFTP and my root file system is configured in NFS. After the security
> key is generated, my box just waits there infinity. Its not starting a new
> terminal.
> The new terminal has been specified in the inittab as
> ttyS0::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 115200 vt100 # GENERIC_SERIAL
> Can anybody help me out with this problem?
> Since i am not able to set password i cannot do a secure shell access too.

If I had to guess (since you didn't include any boot logs, that's
pretty much all I can do), I'd say that your NFS mount of the root
file system isn't working.

You can always try and see if you can even boot into a shell manually,
by adding init=/bin/sh to the kernel command line.

Have you tried booting without using NFS, and verifying that you can
mount the NFS volume?

--
Dave Hylands
Shuswap, BC, Canada