Error compiling a fresh kernel

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Jun 13 15:07:21 EDT 2011

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011, SADA SIVA REDDY S wrote:

> Hi All,
>    I wanted to start my hands on on Linux kernel and got stuck at the beginning
> with build failure. ( I have tried this few months back when it worked fine but
> failing after upgrade.)
> with following error:
> Root device is (8, 6)
> Setup is 14108 bytes (padded to 14336 bytes).
> System is 4423 kB
> CRC 4e90e12c
> Kernel: arch/x86/boot/bzImage is ready  (#1)
>   Building modules, stage 2.
>   MODPOST 3274 modules
> ERROR: "pm_idle" [arch/x86/kernel/apm.ko] undefined!
> ERROR: "default_idle" [arch/x86/kernel/apm.ko] undefined!
> WARNING: modpost: Found 30 section mismatch(es).
> To see full details build your kernel with:
> 'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y'
> make[1]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
> make: *** [modules] Error 2
> ssreddy at N5030:~/linux-2.6$
>
> I am looking to dedicate few hours every week from now.
>
> I am refraining from attaching the .config file to wider list. I can send in
> unicast if some one is willing to help me fix if there are problems in .config.
>
> I have copied the old config file from installed ubuntu 11.04
>
> yes ' ' | make oldconfig -- to generate my basic config file.

  two things.  first, it's not:

    yes ' '

  it's

    yes ''         [no space between the quotes]

that might be your problem.  also, at the risk of sounding
self-serving, i have an online kernel programming course here:

http://crashcourse.ca/introduction-linux-kernel-programming/introduction-linux-kernel-programming

for which the first several lessons are entirely free, and you're
welcome to work your way through them to see if they work for you.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca