Error compiling a fresh kernel

SADA SIVA REDDY S sadasiva.reddy at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 15:02:54 EDT 2011

Hi All,
   I wanted to start my hands on on Linux kernel and got stuck at the
beginning with build failure. ( I have tried this few months back when it
worked fine but failing after upgrade.)
with following error:
Root device is (8, 6)
Setup is 14108 bytes (padded to 14336 bytes).
System is 4423 kB
CRC 4e90e12c
Kernel: arch/x86/boot/bzImage is ready  (#1)
  Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST 3274 modules
ERROR: "pm_idle" [arch/x86/kernel/apm.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "default_idle" [arch/x86/kernel/apm.ko] undefined!
WARNING: modpost: Found 30 section mismatch(es).
To see full details build your kernel with:
'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y'
make[1]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
make: *** [modules] Error 2
ssreddy at N5030:~/linux-2.6$

I am looking to dedicate few hours every week from now.

I am refraining from attaching the .config file to wider list. I can send in
unicast if some one is willing to help me fix if there are problems in
.config.

I have copied the old config file from installed ubuntu 11.04

yes ' ' | make oldconfig -- to generate my basic config file.

Thanks,
SADA