with 3.0.0-rc1 kernel, my sound has suddenly vanished

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Jun 5 06:34:45 EDT 2011

  just built and booted to a 3.0.0-rc1-00180-g0792644-dirty kernel,
where the only diff from mainstream is a hack to get around the i915
"black screen of death" issue.  annoyingly, my sound has suddenly
vanished.  about to start diagnosing but if anyone has any
suggestions, i'm all ears.

  gateway laptop, running updated ubuntu 10.10.  partial output from
"lspci -v":

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset
High Definition Audio (rev 05)
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 031c
        Memory at d4400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
        Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

rday