kernel memory allocation

Jeff Haran jharan at bytemobile.com
Fri Jun 3 17:13:35 EDT 2011

Just guessing, but the most likely reason for the above call to kmalloc() to cause a panic is it's being called in atomic context.

Are you seeing anything like "scheduling while atomic" in the panic back trace?

If so, that's your problem and the solution is most likely to replace the above GFP_KERNEL with GFP_ATOMIC. The alternative would be to restructure the code so that the allocation doesn't happen in atomic context.

Jeff Haran
Bytemobile