Problem installing vanilla kernel on Fedora 13

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 23:43:53 EDT 2011

Hi...

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 07:44, Vaibhav Jain <vjoss197 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The kernel version I am trying to install is 2.6.38.8
>>
>> I am following these steps :
>>
>> - Download kernel source and unzip it
>> - make menuconfig (Saved the config)
>> - make
>> - make modules_install
>> - make install
>>
>> However as soon as i do a 'make install ' an error message appears saying
>> :
>>
>> "ERROR:modinfo:could not find module i2c_core"

try to re-use your Fedora kernel config (usually located in /boot with
name like config-2.6.33-85.fc13.i686): copy that file to the directory
where you unpack the new kernel source and rename that as .config then
run "make oldconfig". The rest is the same.

PS: I have been told by few friends that now you can use "make
localmodconfig". This command will try to guess which options need to
be enabled based on current loaded kernel modules.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant