how to compile the 0.01 version of kernel

Javier Martinez Canillas martinez.javier at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 11:11:36 EST 2011

Hello,

> Then the next thing I was trying to do was to compile the source code
> and try to understand the various methods/function calls, system calls
> etc, but I'm not able to compile the code, I'm getting the following
> errors:

If you want to compile this kernel to understand how an operating
system works. I would recommend using a newer kernel version that you
can easily compile and test with current tools. Compiling a 0.01 with
today tools will be a pain and you would learn more about C compiling
and linking than operating system internals.

The Linux kernel is a really complex beast but also it is highly
modularized, so you can try to understand one aspect at a time. Also
there is much more documentation about recent kernels code that for a
kernel that old.

I would recommend buying some of the excellent books about Linux
kernel internals, the best book in my opinion is Robert Love's Linux
Kernel Development (http://amzn.to/i34vbB).

Another great books  are Linux Device Drivers
(http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/), Essential Linux Device Drivers
(http://amzn.to/bvELFI) and IA-64 Linux Kernel: Design and
Implementation (http://amzn.to/fTvV9z). Also lwn.net site has a lot of
documentation about the kernel in its Kernel index page
(http://lwn.net/Kernel/Index/).

I think that reading about the kernel internals while looking at the
source code and latter trying to hack the code is the best way to
learn about the Linux kernel an operating systems internals.

--
Best regards,