how to compile the 0.01 version of kernel

KK nitric.acid at gmx.us
Sun Jan 9 10:14:42 EST 2011

Hello All,
I was going through the linux kernel newbie articles in
kernelnewbies.com and found it very interesting. I downloaded the
tarballs for the 0.01 version of kernel from :
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/Historic/

Then the next thing I was trying to do was to compile the source code
and try to understand the various methods/function calls, system calls
etc, but I'm not able to compile the code, I'm getting the following
errors:

     $ make -f Makefile
     gas -c -o boot/head.o boot/head.s
     make: gas: Command not found
     make: *** [boot/head.o] Error 127

Then I searched in the web for GAS and found that it GNU AS.  I've "as"
installed in my box, so I tried creating a symlink with the name "gas"
but then bumped into another error:

     $ make
     gas -c -o boot/head.o boot/head.s
     gas: unrecognized option `-c'
     make: *** [boot/head.o] Error 1

Is GNU AS same as "as" ? when running version check I got this:
     $ as --version
     GNU assembler (GNU Binutils) 2.20.51.20100410
     This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the
terms of
     the GNU General Public License version 3 or later.
     This program has absolutely no warranty.
     This assembler was configured for a target of `i686-cygwin'.

I tried searching on the web to find ways to install "GNU AS" but could
not get any useful info. I'm facing similar problem with "GNU LD". Is it
different from the "ld":
     $ ld --version
     GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.20.51.20100410
     This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the
terms of
     the GNU General Public License version 3 or (at your option) a
later version.
     This program has absolutely no warranty.

Can someone help me installing these two or let me know what is the fix
for the same.

I'm running cygwin on Win7-64 bit

Thanks