how to compile the 0.01 version of kernel

loody miloody at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 11:19:25 EST 2011

hi:

2011/1/9 KK <nitric.acid at gmx.us>:
> Hello All,
> I was going through the linux kernel newbie articles in
> kernelnewbies.com and found it very interesting. I downloaded the
> tarballs for the 0.01 version of kernel from :
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/Historic/
>
> Then the next thing I was trying to do was to compile the source code
> and try to understand the various methods/function calls, system calls
> etc, but I'm not able to compile the code, I'm getting the following
> errors:
>
>     $ make -f Makefile
>     gas -c -o boot/head.o boot/head.s
>     make: gas: Command not found
>     make: *** [boot/head.o] Error 127
>
> Then I searched in the web for GAS and found that it GNU AS.  I've "as"
> installed in my box, so I tried creating a symlink with the name "gas"
> but then bumped into another error:
>
>     $ make
>     gas -c -o boot/head.o boot/head.s
>     gas: unrecognized option `-c'
>     make: *** [boot/head.o] Error 1
>
> Is GNU AS same as "as" ? when running version check I got this:
>     $ as --version
>     GNU assembler (GNU Binutils) 2.20.51.20100410
>     Copyright 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>     This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the
> terms of
>     the GNU General Public License version 3 or later.
>     This program has absolutely no warranty.
>     This assembler was configured for a target of `i686-cygwin'.
>
> I tried searching on the web to find ways to install "GNU AS" but could
> not get any useful info. I'm facing similar problem with "GNU LD". Is it
> different from the "ld":
>     $ ld --version
>     GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.20.51.20100410
>     Copyright 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>     This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the
> terms of
>     the GNU General Public License version 3 or (at your option) a
> later version.
>     This program has absolutely no warranty.
>
> Can someone help me installing these two or let me know what is the fix
> for the same.
>
> I'm running cygwin on Win7-64 bit
I have never try this before, but I can give you some suggestions that
I may try:
1. check Makefile and modify AS as the name on your machine.
2. try alias the gas with as on your cygiwn machine.
3. use a managed mount; this will help you avoid some file name
case-sensitivity issues
that crop up in the kernel source code (ex, the netfiler code uses file
names that differ only in case).
http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html
PS: about item3 is excerpted from

BTW, I sincerely suggest you may find any useful information on cygwin
mailing list.
Since most of people on cygwin can compile kernel successfully.

HTH,
miloody