Kernel compilation

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Jan 5 02:37:42 EST 2011

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011, scott wrote:

> I'm new to the list and would like to say hello to everyone. Now on
> to the meat.
>
> I have tried to compile a kernel with a grsec patch 5 times now
> using a couple of different methods and I keep getting a "No init
> found" and "Couldn't support optional features" errors every time at
> bootup. I'm trying to use a vanilla 2.6.32.27 kernel on 10.04 Ubuntu
> and it compiles fine, just will not boot.
>
> I've tried "CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=`getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN` fakeroot
> make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-custom kernel_image
> kernel_headers", "CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=3 make-kpkg --initrd
> --append-to-version=-586 kernel_image kernel_headers modules_image".
>
> I have all the reqs for building kernels such as build-essentials,
> fakeroot, kernel-package, kernel-wedge, nurces-dev and qt for
> xconfig.
>
> These are the steps I've taken. DL the kernel image from
> kernels.org, get the patch from grsec.net, untar the kernel, cd into
> the directory created, do a 'cp /boot/config-`uname -r` .config',
> 'make oldconfig', apply the patch, then either 'make menuconfig' or
> 'make xconfig'. Then I do a 'make-kpkg clean' and run one of the
> commands in the first paragraph above.
>
> I get the debs built and can install them just fine, but I keep
> getting the same errors. I've cut out as many "Experimental" options
> I thought might cause a problem and still get a kernel panic at
> boot.
>
> Anyone have a clue what I'm doing wrong?

  you are clearly using ubuntu, so here's a simpler recipe i've used
successfully.

  1) configure and build your kernel from the source
  2) "sudo make modules_install"
  3) "sudo make install"
  4) "sudo update-initramfs -c -k <kernel version goes here>"
  5) "sudo update-grub"

the drawback to the above is that your kernel is not built as an
official *package* but for testing purposes, it should do.  you'll get
your kernel installed under /boot, your modules installed, a new
initramfs image, and your grub file updated.  can you try it this way
and see if it makes a difference?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca