make with argument 0 is failing some where

Tapas Mishra mightydreams at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 10:01:40 EST 2011

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 6:06 PM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> For the sake of simplicity I am rewriting all the steps that I did
>>
>> Step 1) copied the config from /boot to $HOME/linux-2.6
>> Step 2) yes ' ' | make O=$HOME/btc oldconfig
>> Step 3) make O=$HOME/btc
>> got errors
>>
>> make O=$HOME/btc
> Ok finally I have been able to fix this.
> To do so what I was trying
> I executed make mrproper at two places
> one is $HOME/linux-2.6
> and another was $HOME/btc
> now I was in
> Step 1) cd  $HOME/linux-2.6
> Step 2) make mrproper
> Step 3) cd $HOME/btc
> Step 4) make $O=$HOME/btc mrproper
> Step 5) cd $HOME/linux-2.6
> Step 6) copied the config from /boot to $HOME/linux-2.6
> Step 7) yes ' ' | make O=$HOME/btc oldconfig
> upto here is all Ok.
> Next step is
> Step 8) make mrproper
> Step 9) cd $HOME/btc
> Step 10) make O=$HOME/btc
>
> and then make with all modules install and rest of the stuff had worked.
> --
Though It is an old thread but I wanted to update today I needed it
because of a similar error.
In above step 8 and step 6 are wrong.When you do a make mrproper to
which ever directory you basically are
deleting the config generated or you saved.
That means if you did following
1) Download the kernel and untar
2) cp /boot/config-whatever /to/directory/which/will/be/argument/of/O
then
3) make O=$HOME/btc mrproper
then you deleted the config in step 2.
Also for  make O=$HOME/btc menuconfig to work
.config should be in $HOME/btc and not in $HOME/linux-2.6
as I mentioned above in step6.That was a mistake.