Linux support for Samsung S3C2510A Processor

spinlock cp spinlock.cp at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 06:48:49 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Madhavi Manchala
<madhavi.linux at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 2:53 PM, spinlock cp <spinlock.cp at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Madhavi Manchala <
> madhavi.linux at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Dear All,
> >>
> >> Does Linux kernel supports the Samsung S3C2510A processor? Why am I
> >> asking this question is, when I looked into the arch/arm/ directory I
> >> did not find any thing which is related to Samsung S3C2510A processor.
> >> There are other directories like mach-s3c24xx and mach-s3c64xx
> >> directories, but not mach-s3c25xx.
> >>
> >> I checked this in 2.6.37 kernel version which is a stable one.
> >

> > Hi Madahvi
> >
> > Is S3C2510A is an ARM based core ?  Linux does not specicallly support
> the
> > processor family that you've askd for. For list of supported architetucte
> > you can refer to this link
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_supported_architectures
>
> Hi Spinlock,
>
> OK. The Linux supports the ARM architecture. That is true. Then, why
> they mentioned different directories under arch/arm directory like
> mach-s3c2400, mach-s3c2410, mach-s3c2412, mach-s3c2440, mach-s3c2442,
> etc. Then, no need to mention all these sub directories in that arch/arm
> directory. Am I correct?

mach-s3c2400 , mach-s3c2410  etc are part of Samsung S3C24XX  seeirs -  ARM
9  based family.  Each of these folder contains
platform specific code. The corresponding hearder files are located in
include/asm-asrm/plat-s3c24xx directories.

> Please think once. May be we need to
> add some files which are necessary for S3C2510A processor in the
> arch/arm/ directory in the form of something like a directory name
> s3c2510a. What do you say?

Yes, you're right , you willl need a platform specific port for S3C2510A.
I'm not sure S3C25XX based port is avialble or not.
It would also be helpful to you , if you can go through this chapter from ,
Linux kernel doucmentation.
http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v2.6.37/Documentation/arm/Samsung-S3C24XX/Overview.txt

The Section 3 should be able to give you more insight.

>  Thanks and Regards,
> Madhavi M.
>
> > ~Spinlock
> >>
> >> Please sugget me.