new link list

Javier Martinez Canillas martinez.javier at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 12:23:38 EST 2011

> if i  add a new system call and define a new link list in that and some
> kernel function want to access that list
> is it possible for that kernel code to make use of this?

Since the Linux kernel is monolithic, all kernel code is in the same
memory address space. So it will depend of the scope of your
variables.
For example if your structure is global, it will be accesible from any
place in the kernel.

> actually i am making changes 2 side : one introducing a new kernel function
> and that kernel function has to use the link list created by the system call
> which i make in system call code.

Generally is not a good idea to introduce a new system call. You have
to make changes in many places an recompile the kernel to make it
work. It is better to use netlink or other mechanism to communicate
kernel and userspace.

> how can i intigrate them so that the things become easier?
>
> any further help is appreciable , javier. :)

I still don't know your context but a common approach is to create a
kernel module that has both your data structures (linked list) and
some way export that data to userspace (netlink sockets, sysfs,
procfs, virtual devices, etc)

Javier Martínez Canillas
(+34) 682 39 81 69
PhD Student in High Performance Computing
Computer Architecture and Operating System Department (CAOS)
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Barcelona, Spain