Ad-hoc arm board

Jim Cromie jim.cromie at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 11:08:47 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 5:47 AM, Andrea Gasparini <gaspa at yattaweb.it> wrote:

> Hi,
> Working on a custom arm based board, I'm currently juggling with mach-types
> and machine IDs for our ARM boards, but perhaps it came the time to set
> them in the right way...
>
> And  moreover, do anyone has a pointer on documentation/articles/somewhat
> on how to write a good board-*.c and how (and perhaps when) to handle
> platform devices instead of a classical device driver? I'm  currently going
> by trying, and perhaps it's not the better method to achieve my purposes.

theres also a lot of work going on currently in device-trees,
which are splitting config data out from code, into text files.

googling "linux device tree" found a lot of relevant stuff,
there was also a recent LWN.net article on them.
Looking at linux-next tree is also useful, there are a bunch of configs
for a bunch of arm boards in there.

good luck