Ad-hoc arm board

Andrea Gasparini gaspa at yattaweb.it
Thu Feb 10 10:21:53 EST 2011

Hi Dave,
thanks for your answers,

> > Working on a custom arm based board, I'm currently juggling with
> > mach-types and machine IDs for our ARM boards, but perhaps it came
> > the time to set them in the right way...
>
> You can request mach-type entries over here:
> http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/machines/

Ok, but is it the only way to achieve this?
I mean, I could monkey-patching arch/arm/tools/mach-types but that doesn't
seems a good way, apart for playing purposes.
Moreover I observed that registered machine IDs are more than three
thousand, but a
$ find arch/arm/ -name 'board*' | wc -l
gives "177".
well, there are probably lots of boards being discontinued, or ad-
hoc/internal boards but the difference anyway is quite big.

> Generally, I would look at other machines in the arch/arm hiearchy.
> The omap one is fairly complex. I think I used the mach-integrator as
> my first example.

Yep, I used a similar board as an example,

> There are some guides to porting ARM boards.
[snip]
> Some more recent ones:
> <http://www.simtec.co.uk/products/SWLINUX/files/booting_article.html#>
> <http://free-electrons.com/doc/kernel-porting.pdf>

thanks, I'm looking and in fact it's a bit clealer.

> One of the things you can do with platform devices/drivers is to split
> the data from the code. So all of the things like peripheral base
> address, irq, etc can all go in the platform data. Then the same
> platform driver (especially when compiled as a module) can be used on
> multiple boards.

Right, I never thought about it.

thank you.
--