How to make the kernel support NTFS?

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 12:34:04 EDT 2011

Hi.....

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 08:57, Parmenides <mobile.parmenides at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem has been resolved by recovering an old .config file, which
> once was deleted with the old kernel. I think this problem has not to
> do with 'NTFS' options anywhere, but improper configrations of kernel.

very weird...but alright....the important thing is it's fixed :)

> The steps are as follows:
>
> step 1. Copy the old .config to /boot/config-2.6.34. This .config is
> from the old 2.6.25 kernel source directory.

??? you copy to /boot?

> step 2. Enter the new 2.6.34 kernel source directory, then 'make clean
> && make mrproper' to clean the directory.
> step 3. 'make menuconfig' to select NTFS options.
> step 4. 'make && make modules_install', then copy
> arch/x86/boot/bzImage to /boot and modify /boot/grub/menu.lst.
> step 5. Reboot successfully.
>
> However, I have a further questions about the old .config file. At
> step 1, I didn't copy the old .config into the new 2.6.34 kernel
> source directory, and then 'make oldconfig' to activate old
> configurations. The only place where the old .config exists is /boot.
> At step 3, how can 'make' find the old .config file?

well, previously you didn't mention about "make oldconfig", but then
you said you did "make oldconfig". Which one is right?

The only way "make oldconfig" find the old .config file is AFAIK by
placing it in top source directory of extracted linux kernel.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant